This delicious, healthy & simple vegetarian Kerala Curry recipe is based on a recipe from the ‘Fresh India’ cookbook. Squash is in season, perfect to combine with heart-healthy black beans and aromatic spices such as garam masala mix.
Serves 4 for amazing dinner, prep time 45 minutes from start to table.
Table of Contents
Ingredients for Oven-roasted Squash
1kg butternut squash, unpeeled, cut into thin wedges
1 tbsp garam masala
a sprinkle of salt and pepper
Ingredients for Creamy Coconut sauce
1 onion, diced
2 green chilis, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
400g tin black beans, rinsed and drained
150g ripe tomatoes (or tinned tomatoes if not in season)
400ml good coconut milk (at least 60% coconut content)
1/3 teaspoon turmeric
a sprinkle of salt & pepper
How to make Deliciously Healthy Vegetarian Curry?
- Mix squash with garam masala, salt & pepper. Toss everything together, than place on an oven tray (on parchment paper) and bake for 30 minutes at 220 degrees Celsius.
- In the meanwhile, use a large skillet pan to fry onion and chili for 10 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add garlic, beans and tomatoes. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add coconut milk and turmeric to the pan, cook for a couple of minutes, then add roasted squash fresh from the oven.
- Stir everything together, bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, until thickened – et voila, dinner is ready!
What makes this vegetarian curry recipe healthy?
This Squash, Black Beans & Tomatoes Kerala Curry dish is
- high in fibre
- good for stable blood sugars
- low in calories
- a friend in weight loss (due to potent, satisfying flavours for a good feeling of satiety)
- a source of vitamins (such as beta-carotene)
Enjoy this recipe or check out more healthy, delicious recipes here.
Have a great day!