AN “APPELFLAP” IS A TRADITIONAL DUTCH DESSERT PASTRY stuffed with apple, raisins, cinnamon and sugar, and covered with sugar granules. Lots of people have it for breakfast. In this recipe, I ditch the sugar and raisins and realise that homemade apple flaps are easy and delicious – while obviously being healthier than the supermarket version.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
- 2 apples, diced use Elstar or other sweet-sour type
- 4 squares of about 15x15cm pastry dough store-bought, I find it in the freezer section, or homemade
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- IN A BOWL, mix up the diced apples with cinnamon.
- FILL PASTRY SQUARES WITH APPLE & CINNAMON MIX on one side, then flip the other side over as to close the triangle. Press the ends together (soak your fingers in water to make the ends stick together better). Sprinkle with water.
- YOU'VE NOW MADE A TRIANGLE FILLED WITH APPLE! Repeat the procedure 3 times more. Bake at 200 Celsius for 15-17 minutes until golden. Enjoy and marvel at the amazing taste of healthy apple flaps.