AS PROMISED, HERE’S A DELICIOUS STIR-FRY RECIPE that I had for dinner last night. 🙂
Green beans and zucchini were on offer at the supermarket – you can also choose other green veggies which you find on sale, to make this meal not only delicious but also affordable!
BROWN RICE NOODLES ARE TASTY. They have a lower glycemic index than wheat noodles, meaning they are better at keeping blood sugar stable.
BENEFITS OF THIS MEAL ARE MANY, aside from the brown rice noodles, the stir-fry is low in carbs, has a short cooking time leading to vitamin preservation, provides nutrients from many vegetables and garlic, and gives you a daily dose of fiber.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
- 2 tbsp cooking oil or ghee sesame oil and sunflower oil work well here
- 1 zucchini
- 100 g green beans
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large scallion (or 2 small)
- 150 g defrosted shrimps replace with cashews for vegetarian option
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 portion (80g) brown rice noodles we're using less noodles and more vegetables to make our meal truly healthy
- PREPARE NOODLES according to the instructions on the package (usually 5-7 minutes of boiling in water).
- CUT ZUCCHINI , GREEN BEANS, BELL PEPPER AND SCALLIONS into bits. Zucchini work well when thinly sliced and then diced, green beans needs to have their ends trimmed and should be cut into 3-4cm long pieces, bell peppers work well in large chunks and scallions need ends trimmed and can then be sliced into 1cm pieces (use both green and white parts!).
- HEAT UP OIL IN A WOK, fry zucchini and green beans on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add red pepper, scallions and shrimps (if uncooked), turn up the heat and stir well for about 5 minutes. Then add garlic and sauces, and stir-fry for another 2 minutes on high heat. If using cooked shrimps, add them to the wok in the last 2 minutes of cooking - if you add them to the wok earlier they will overcook and become chewy. Take off heat.
- ADD NOODLES (drained of water) TO THE WOK, or place both noodles and stir-fry in a pretty bowl. Mix well, serve and enjoy!
Frozen shrimps can be defrosted quickly by placing them in a bowl of luke warm (not hot!) water.
Cashew nuts can best be bought at a nut specialist store: there you can easily get the unsalted version, and the price is usually lower than in supermarkets.