Avocado is perfect for making pasta sauce – rich in healthy fats, tastes great paired with basil, is a deliciously creamy dairy-free alternative and carries a lot of nutrients.
I love a good organic tomato sauce on pasta, but having the same sauce every time doesn’t cut it for my freakishly foodie nature. Of course I could buy other supermarket pasta sauces, but have you ever noticed how many strange additives there are in there? Bleh.
It’s much healthier to make your own pasta sauce than to buy some additive-stuffed sauce that’s been standing on supermarket shelves for months.
Avocado & basil unite to form a creamy yet refreshing green sauce that you can whip up in literally 2 minutes. This “pasta” sauce tastes great on:
- tortellini (filled with organic cheese or ham)
- zucchini pasta
- oven-baked salmon
The best way to make this recipe is to taste as you go and adjust ingredients accordingly. I play around with the measurements each time, which makes the sauce dynamic.
👉 Start slow on the pine nuts, too much can quickly make the sauce bitter.
|Prep Time||2 minutes|
servings of sauce
- 1 half ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 large handful fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh lemon juice to taste, I use about 1 tablespoon
- Crush pine nuts (in a food processor) by blending them for 10 seconds.
- Add avocado, olive oil, lemon juice & basil. Process for another 20 seconds.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (depending on what you are eating the sauce with).
If you don't have a food processor, use creativity to crush the pine nuts (mortar and pestle will do as well) and a fork to mix the rest.
Just made your Avocado & Basil pasta sauce. I’m so glad I did! It tasted absolutely amazing, very flavoursome and is so easy to prep. Can’t wait to try some more of the recipes soon!! Thank you for sharing, Ana! Keep up the good work!
Dear Oana, I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the message! Best wishes, Ana