Delicious, moist brownies chock-full of bitter-sweet walnuts. There’s wholegrain flour in the batter and deliciously crunchy almond flakes on top.
I baked a batch this morning and I won’t lie to you – had 3 pieces as breakfast. Yum!
Less sugar and more walnuts make this recipe the perfect alternative to traditional unhealthy desserts.
These brownies are diabetes-friendly due to high fiber content and a lower glycemic index (making your blood sugars not raise as fast).
Recipe inspired by Gaia’s Kitchen Cookbook, here’s Gaia’s cookbook on Amazon!
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 140 grams best quality dark chocolate minimum 70% cocoa
- 55 grams unsalted butter organic
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, organic
- 2/3 cup wholewheat flour
- 2 tbsp flakes almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 drops vanilla essence
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Melt chocolate and butter au bain marie (= in a bowl above steaming water).
- Let chocolate cool for 5 minutes. In the meanwhile, whisk the eggs.
- Mix the sugar with the chocolate, then mix in the eggs. Sift in the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add vanilla essence and walnuts and stir through.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, in the very end sprinkle with almond flakes. Wait with cutting pieces until slightly cooled.